Monday, March 28, 2011

Spring Break Biking/ Walking Adventures

I decided to challenge myself over the break, by being as physically active as possible, and to push myself a little further than I usually do as far as biking goes. On Wed, March 23rd, a friend and I set out on a walk on the Salem Lake Trail. We started at the park, and about 3miles in, our adventurous side kicked in and we decided to go further. We had heard that the side of the trail we were on would lead to Linville Rd, we were not sure about that because Linville Rd seemed to be pretty far away, but we kept on anyway just to see where it would lead. On the way, we were so intrigued by the various plant life that we stopped numerous times and took pics along the way. one of the most exciting parts of the trip was as we approached the 4mile marker, we stopped at a long tree stump that jutted out into the water. There were about 6 disc shaped figures lined up at the end of the stump, and they appeared to be lined up in order from largest to smallest. As we got closer, we realized the discs were actually turtles!! I happen to love turtles, so I was tickled by the sight. They seemed to be taking turns diving into the water, then climbing back up on the stump to sunbathe. I thought that was both amazing and hilarious because it seemed as if they were at some kind of turtle resort, casually taking a swim! Shortly after the 4mile marker, my friend and I saw cars passing on a highway. Could this be Linville Rd? Yes, it was! How excited we were to find that the legend of arriving at Linville Rd from Salem Lake Trail was true! We then ventured onto complete our trek around the other side of the lake. In all, we walked about 8 miles. Needless to say, I was very sore the next day, but it was well worth it. On Friday, March 25th, I decided to bike along Salem Creek Trail. This was not my first time biking along this trail, but I decided to push myself a little farther this time. Instead of biking to the site of the new water treatment facility site, I rode a little farther to where Salem Creek Trail and Salem Lake Trail meet behind Reynolds Park Golf course. I felt like a beast!!! I was so proud of myself, and I intend to go a little further and further each time!

No comments:

Post a Comment