Sunday, March 6, 2011

Lots to Share!

I have so much to share this week!
First, I wanted to talk more about my article. Actually, I had two--which fit nicely together. The Naked Bike Ride article was my favorite. I thought the ride was a creative way to express cyclist vulnerability when braving the roads with automobiles. I have included a video from the World Naked Bike Ride 2008, which was held in Vancouver. (Beware, there is some "indecent exposure"; but I assume we're all over 18...aka can watch "R" rated movies.)

World Naked Bike Ride Vancouver - 2008 from Ian MacKenzie on Vimeo.


The second article is about the "1 METER PLEASE" campaign for cycling on the roads. This campaign focuses on educating drivers the distance needed to pass a cyclist on the roads safely, being 1 meter. "The key thing for motorists to remember if they come upon a cyclist from the rear and cannot give at least one meter of space when passing is to wait until they can," states avid cyclist and campaign founder Joe Mizereck. (View Article.) The campaign has recently introduced a campaign jersey. Cool, huh? (:

Next, last night, while babysitting until 2am, I downloaded lots of cool Apps to my phone. Boredom officially set in after UNC's unfortunate win. Two that I am particularly excited about is a running program. It creates my workouts and talks to me while I run. The second is a calorie counter. I thought this would be an easy way to continue to count my calories without having to log online. I do plan to create a myplate.com account this week, but in the meantime I like having the calorie counter with me at all times on my Blackberry.

Also, I'm really excited to get started working with Matt Gymer at Novant Health. I think this project is going to be pretty cool. I also think the myplate.com website is going to be pretty amazing and help me control my "in" calories, which is something every American could use. I hope my group can help Novant Health promote this website! Plus, I love the Lance Armstrong Foundation. Here's the link to the website in case any of you are more curious: MyPlate. Also, for you Facebook users, you can follow LiveStrong on there as well.

Lastly, this week, I rode on Tuesday. I had plans to head out to the barn today, but the rain has stopped that! I did hit the pool yesterday for a few hours and got a good couple (4) thousand yards in. (So i got wet anyway.) My arms are dead today...

Rain, Rain, go away, come again some other day.


No comments:

Post a Comment