Sunday, March 6, 2011

Roller Skating on the Greenway

Taking advantage of the sunshine on Friday afternoon, I packed up my roller skates and drove to the greenway across from Jefferson Elementary on Robinhood Road. This greenway is near my home and I often walk my dog here, so I knew that it is a primarily flat, straight path winding behind several new neighborhoods beside a stream. This greenway is so peaceful, with no noise from the parkway like the other greenway near my home. There are also horses grazing alongside part of this path, which makes it a little more unique than some of the areas in town.
Although the weather was crisp, I warmed up quickly as I skated up and down the path. It felt so good to be out in the fresh air after being cooped up inside the last few weeks, and I was very happy I decided to roller skate. Bicycling is fun, but for me it's not as enjoyable as roller skating. Hopefully the temps will rise a bit and my ride will be a little more fluid without so many bulky layers, yet I am happy to be out and active on the greenway now.
I know I visit these paths at a time when most people are working, but I prefer having little traffic to compete with other than some seniors walking the path. I have noticed as the days grow longer that the parking lot for this particular greenway is often packed now when I pick my daughter up from Jefferson in the late afternoon. I'm not sure if more people are cycling than walking in the afternoon, but it is a popular spot that has attracted many locals.

No comments:

Post a Comment