Sunday, March 13, 2011

Hiking

I think maybe my son has been instilled with a love of nature and being able to enjoy spending time in the natural world. Early this week we had snow, rain and then it all started melting again so we had muck and mud. On Saturday, we had sunshine and the result was that my son wanted to be outside. We trimmed shrubs, bushes and trees trekking around in our rubber boots, decided against playing soccer in all the muck and mud. We ended up taking a hike on the trail we use mostly in the summer time, that we call the cellphone tower road. In the summer time there are so many different types of plants, flowers and animals that bloom along the sides of this trail. Usually in July or August we have masses of butterflies, so many that you can't see the bushes underneath. There are also all the wild blackberry bushes that make for very good eating and jam. Off we went on our little jaunt, putting in 4-5 miles with parts of the trail being on a steep incline. Making it to the top is hard but definitely worth it. Maybe we'll try Big Bald if the weather dries out more in the next few weeks.

As for the daily plate, I've not actually tracked my food intake using the website. I try to track my and my family's eating through the use of a weekly menu. We try to make it catchy around here, so we have Meatless Mondays, Taco Tuesdays(traditional Mexican food), anything Wednesdays (meaning leftovers out the refrigerator or freezer, Seafood Thursday (seafood of different kinds and some new dessert which turned out to be secret chocolate cake made with beets this week), Pizza Friday (we make it all ourselves using a Naan bread for the pizza dough and different types of flour), Souper Saturday, and Finger Food Sundays (fruit and veggie trays). Maybe next week I'll post a sample menu.

On a side note, so looking forward to Salem spring break. Florida, here we come!!! Hopefully, we'll be able to take in some historical sites in St Augustine, visit the Timucuan Ecological Preserve, the Everglades, some hiking, swimming and who knows what else. Have a fabulous week everybody.

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of themed meals, I imagine with children keeping meals interesting can be a challenge!!

    When do the blackberries come into season? I have picked wild raspberries around the Asheville area, and they are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Keeping me interested in cooking is probably more like it :)

    Blackberries usually come in season during the late summer up here, usually starting in late July at the earliest until sometime around September at the latest. Just thinking about blackberries is making me wish for summer.

    ReplyDelete