Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Article(s) and old bikes

My article was Urban Gardens Tainted With Lead, Arsenic by David Runk from Huffpost Green. Back-yard and community gardens in Indianapolis, Boston, and New York were tested for lead levels as well as other chemicals that could poison the soil. The research found that 9 out of 10 of the gardens in Indianapolis had high lead levels. In Boston they found 4 out of 5 of the gardens tested had high levels. A non-profit group in two Boston suburbs even had raised beds with freshly composted soil installed, but tests four years later showed that lead content had tripled. Their advice? To continue to test soils, not only when they are first planted, but over the ensuing years. They also suggest washing your hands after gardening to reduce exposure to contaminated soil, to wash vegetables thoroughly, and to avoid tracking soil indoors. Tests on garden beds in NYC have been more promising, finding fewer than 10 percent of them had high lead levels. There have been efforts in the city to bring in clean soil and compost for raised beds.

I also found this article about the "green-ing" of Greensboro:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/the-impulsive-traveler-going-green-in-greensboro-nc/2011/02/24/AFoEhKWB_story.html?wpisrc=emailtoafriend

There was an unexpected death in my family over break, so I went home under different circumstances than planned. I took and found some pics, though:


Me on my bike. I think I was about 7 or 8 in this one. Apparently I could ride a bike and not put myself in mortal danger at the time.






My aunt and uncle's old bikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment