Sunday, March 6, 2011

Biking and media article

I went to the Y on Main today to ride a stationary bike. I'm a member and I work out there 2-3 times a week, but I'd never used the bikes before. I can't remember the last time I was on a bike, so I figured I'd start out with something simple. I'm not sure if I've ever ridden a stationary bike before, so I had to figure out all the screens, but it was pretty simple. I set my level pretty low and I did 4 miles in twenty minutes. That was about as far as I could go since I left my ipod at home and was bored out of my mind. It had a tv on it, but you had to have ear phones to listen. I'm not sure if the ipod ones would work on it and I didn't want to use some that other people might have used as I'm a mild germaphobe. I liked the fact that it shows how fast you're going, the miles you've gone, calories burned, and time you've been riding, but I have to remember to bring something with me next time to stave off the boredom. The guy beside me was reading a book, which I doubt I could do while riding, but he was also on one of the bikes with a back on it. Maybe I'll try one of those next time. My friend Kevin is going to help me find a new bike. He's really, really into bikes (he owns 21 of them), but not in that annoying "hipster" way, unlike this guy:

I love Portlandia.

For my media article, I found one called "Dolphin Deaths in Gulf Region Spike, Probably Because Of That Massive Oil Spill That Happened" (as I said, I'm not being facetious; that really is the name of the article) by Jason Linkins from the Huffington Post. Baby dolphins are dying at an alarming rate on the coasts of Mississippi and Alabama. As of the time the article was written, 17 baby dolphins, some barely three feet long, had washed up on the coasts. I've since found an update siting that they've now found 60. Some are stillborn and some die soon after birth. Oil from the BP oil spill remains stuck on the bottom of the sea floor in the Gulf of Mexico. The microbes that were touted to quickly degrade all the oil (supposedly by 2012) have worked on about 10% of it. Unfortunately, the media coverage on the oil spill has almost completely died out. Where is this area going to stand in 20 years? In fifty? Does BP not understand the ramifications not only on the sea life, but on the people who's lives were sustained by it? Or do they just not care?

1 comment: