Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Grassroots Biology Takes the Salem Creek Greenway by Storm

Today was a beautiful day to get outside on the Salem Creek Greenway (SCG).  I'm sad that Sarah wasn't able to enjoy, since she has been feeling so awful this week.  We also missed a few other students (where did Brittany wander off to?), but overall, fun was had by all (at least from what I could tell).  I'd like to hear what you thought of the greenway?  Whether you loved it or not, it is a great resource to have in Salem's backyard.  Soon with a short connection to Forsyth Tech this greenway will directly link 4 of the 5 major schools in Winston Salem.  I found out it was Teshenia's first time out on the SCG.  Kiva and Heather took the lead on bikes luckily they didn't scare away any wildlife with their laughter, we saw plenty.  We even had Kristen out on her roller skates. I only wish we would have had more time, so we could have gone further and seen more. 

 
We saw a number of mammals on the trip.  Most everyone saw the Marmots up on the hill on Salem's campus (I missed them), and a number of students saw the "baby beavers", also known as Muskrats in the marshy area across from WSSU.  The group I was with at the end even saw a dead shrew, I picked it up to show everyone its little short tail from which it gets its name.  We also heard plenty of birds as well, but couldn't visually locate too many.  See both humans and non-human animals enjoy a good greenway! My goal for next time is to get more students on bikes, they do have 11 bikes for rental at Salem.

Another class trip I would love to take is a camping trip up at Moore's Spring's Trails with a day trip to Hanging Rock.  I will ask what this would involve on my end, and I want you to think about a Saturday that this would work for you.  We probably would want to wait until May when the frequent rains lighten up.


No comments:

Post a Comment