Monday, March 7, 2011

A Frustrating Spring & Infinity MPG

Rain, rain, go away.  I was able to get in 40 miles on the bike last week, but my weekend plans for finishing my 70 miles for the week, were thwarted by about 2 inches of rainfall.  The weather was pleasant enough until about 3pm on Saturday, when the skies opened up.  I teach on Saturdays so I was unable to get out onto the trail before the rain started.

Not to be dissuaded, I was able to get on the trail after class today. Unfortunately, I was unable to finish the 18 mile loop, because the trail was under water halfway along the greenway (the perils of floodplain greenway trails - pretty, but unpredictable after a rain storm).  So I was forced to turn around.  I was still able to get in about 10 miles because I repeated the section between Salem College and Washington Park.  I know this will not be the last weekend that my bike plans are spoiled by the rain.  I just have to remember, wet springs come with living in North Carolina.

I also took a "detour" to spot the frogs I had been hearing in the new temporary pools all along the greenway.  The sound of frogs calling is one of my favorite signs of spring.  While you are out walking or biking around, take note of some of the non-native species of plants and animals.  I suggest a simple google/wikipedia search of "non-native plants/animals NC" to get an idea of just how many of the plants and animals you see on a daily basis are not naturally occurring in this area.  It looks like we will have perfect weather this weekend, I can't wait to get out on the trail again.  I just wish there was more trail out there to explore. 

While reading Desiree's blog post about the "3 feet please" campaign, I got distracted and found another cool t-shirt design with a bike logo.  Kind of along the same lines as the LA Metro campaign.  I can't wait to see what the "Buzz about Bikes" or "MST" groups come up with if they choose to include print design into their projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment