Sunday, February 27, 2011

Wellness

I decided to hike this week and did some trails near my house. I love that I can get outside without having to get in my car and then hike/walk/bike. The season is on the verge of changing and hiking was a good way to experience that. It reminded me that life is connected which is one of the main themes in this class. The world is connected and our survival depends on the continued preservations and survival of not just humans.

The talk by Mr Gymer from Novant Health was fodder for discussion around our dinner table this week. Growing up in a different country makes me look differently at health and food, maybe? The amount of conversation that revolved around food for me was a bit unsettling when I first moved here. I don't believe I had ever talked so much about food, the having it, the depriving one's self of it to lose weight, the ready availability of it, the food and weight conversations etc. My Mom, husband and I leaned in the same direction when it comes to this talk of food and weight. Before my philosophy was eat when you're hungry, enjoy it, stop when you're full and junk food/sweets were an occasional thing.
My point with all that said is this, I very much embrace the idea of there being different aspects to maintaining wellness and health. Food is just one aspect of being healthy, well and happy. I am not discouraging the idea of being aware of what a person eats, but making it such a focus to the detriment of other aspects of a person's life that are just as important skews one's view.
As for which project I am interested, would love the quantitative research project but from the point of view of moms, specifically stay at home/part time working moms who need access to mobile resources to maintain health in their families.

Next week, biking...

No comments:

Post a Comment