Sunday, February 13, 2011

Biking in the snow a no-go.

My trip took me to parts of the country where biking this time of year would be considered downright crazy.  Not to say I didn't see people biking in Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and Maine.  Luckily among the work, I was able to take a day to enjoy my time in the winter wonderland that is Acadia National Park.  The park has miles and miles of carriage roads which are used by pedestrians, equestrians and cyclists in the summer, and by cross-country and skate skiers in the winter.



I am a horrible skier, I just don't get that much practice now that I live in the south.  But I really do enjoy it when I'm not falling (I fall a lot).  I was able to get in about 4 hours of skiing.  The conditions were not ideal, it was icy even for skiing, and we weren't able to cover that much ground.  I did find out that my dog likes to run alongside us while we ski.  I wasn't sure if the whole family could enjoy this activity because he tends to get bitey when people "move oddly".

It was a warm sunny day on Friday (about 34F) so we took full advantage.  It is amazing how much you miss when you're whipping by in your car and how the simple act of slowing down can bring peace.  I think we should all consider ways to slow down our lives.  The acceleration of everything in our daily lives is very much what has gotten us into such a mess, both our bodies and our earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment