Sunday, February 13, 2011

Walking Time of Reflection

Today, I took my walk around campus, God's Acre and the trail across from the soccer fields. I would have loved to bike but don't know how, would love to learn how though. My walk was a reflective time with my mother who passed away six months ago, remembering moments with her before she got sick, remembering birthdays, watching our favorite TV shows together and lunches at our favorite place Panera Bread. This time is very special because it was a time for me to cry, talk to her and realize just how much she means to me and how much of an inspiration and motivation she was and is to me, something I did not realize when she was alive. My mother has inspired me and is my sole motivation to do a documentary in honor of her and as an inspiration to others and to hopeful find a cure. She was also a big environmentalist and lover of nature, she loved trees and wanted to get involved in its conservation and saving them but never had the chance. I want to get involved in tree conservation not only in honor of my mother and her reawakening my interest in trees but also watching Earth Keepers and seeing Wangari Maathai and remembering seeing her before in another documentary and how many of her words stayed with me and growing up hearing the same words from my mother and seeing the devastation of trees being cut down and deer being driven out of their homes in the area I lived. I remember when I first moved there and so many deer were around seven years later no deer being around because they had been driven out by trees being cut down( for ridiculious and selfish reasons) and being hit by cars because they have no where to go. My mother and I find out they was a environmental/senior center who needed volunteers to plant trees so her and I would go plant trees whenever they needed help. Those moments are close to me because not only are we helping the environment but it was also bonding time for us. We soon stopped going because of her illness and other issues but I plan now to go back and volunteer there and other places to plant trees and to stop the needless tearing down of them. I think this class will give me the tools and network neccessary to start my goals.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful entry, thank you for sharing. If it is alright with you, I would like to take some time to get you on a bike, I've never taught anyone to ride (no children of my own), but I think it will be fun.

    ReplyDelete