Monday, February 21, 2011

Maryland Biking and Walking

I did not do any biking this week, but I always do quite a bit of walking. I actually had the pleasure of exploring a new city this weekend by walking. Some friends and I traveled to Clinton, Maryland for the weekend. We traveled by car and it took us about 5 hours. On the second day of the trip, we decided to take the Metro train into DC, which was about 30minutes by train. Once in the city, I was amazed at how close everything was. There was nothing that could not be reached by a 10 to 15 minute walk, including the capital building, Washington Monument and Reflecting Pool. There was not a huge bike presence. I noticed this right away, and I will say that I don't think I would have been comfortable riding in that area. The streets and sidewalks were wide, but still most opted to walk. Clinton, were we stayed for our trip, was located in sprawling Prince George's County. This area, in my opinion was not bike, walker, or even car friendly because everything was so far away from everything else, and even by car it took forever to arrive at any destination. After seeing the sprawl in that area, I am even more surprised that the Triad is listed as number 2 on the list of the most sprawling areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment