Monday, February 14, 2011

Stationary Adventure

I can honestly, but shamefully say that I have not rode a bike in about 12 years. My 13 yr old daughter has a bike that we keep in storage, so I pumped myself up mentally for a lovely bike ride only to find that her bike needed to be pumped up literally. Upon finding a pump, I realized that my efforts were in vain: the tire had a hole in it. This led me to Salem College fitness center to utilize that stationary bike. I am a frequent user of the center, but I never use the bikes. I chose the standing bike because it seemed more realistic than the one that you sit down to pedal. It was quite uncomfortable at first. The seat was the biggest obstacle for me. Once I became used to it, the discomfort became less of a distraction. I used the setting keys so I could track my distance and calorie burn. The first 20 minutes were a breeze. I lifted myself off the seat and set the incline to simulate a hill climb. That was a bit challenging, although my calorie meter began to tick off alot quicker. My heart rate stayed within 138 and 142, and I did break a sweat around the 25th minute. I think I would have preferred riding outdoors because I became quite bored around the 35th minute. It did turn out to be a good work out, my stats ended at 2.6 miles, and 340 calories burned. I will definitely ride outdoors next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment