Wednesday, February 9, 2011

First Bike Ride

I decided to take my bike ride on Sunday since it was such a beautiful day. My children, Sophia (7) and Miles (5), love to ride their bikes around our neighborhood. We live in a cul-de-sac bay of townhouses off of a very busy road, so usually I don't allow them to leave the bay. On Sunday we rode together up to the park near our home. It was exciting for them to leave the neighborhood, yet too nerve wracking for me, I have to admit! Although we had fun and they did fine, the traffic is intense on Robinhood Road, which is the road the park near our home is on. I was too focused on the children's safety to feel relaxed and enjoy the ride, and I was very happy to return to our neighborhood.
Not willing to give up on the experience because of the high volume of traffic near our home, we road around our cul-de-sac and had a picnic lunch. I let Sophia and Miles practice riding their bikes in the parking lot around our neighbors' cars, which will help them become more proficient riders. Hopefully by the end of the semester we will be able to take our bikes out onto one of the trails in Winston. It is certainly something we enjoyed doing together on Sunday, and I look forward to making time for more frequently rides as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment