Sunday, February 27, 2011

Wellness Goals: One reached, one barely missed, one demolished

This week I had three wellness goals, bike an average of ten miles per day, give up coffee and diet soda (essentially most/all caffeine), and give up dairy and wheat.  I must say I was pretty kranky at times, but I made it and now I'm about to watch the Oscars (my guilty pleasure of the year).  So where did I succeed and where did I fail miserably?

I was able to stay off Caffeine all week, and plan to stay away from it, it wasn't too bad and I'm now headache free.

I biked an average of 9.25 miles per day, not bad considering it rained most of the day Thursday and while on my ride today.  I also hiked ~3.5 miles at Moore's Springs Trails with Shannon, Sarah and some of their friends, so I'm counting this a very near miss.  I did not bike at all Thursday and Friday, so I was able to make up almost all my mileage.  Most of my biking was on the Salem Creek trail, but I did do an hour of spin class for variety.

As for the dairy and wheat, I did well until Friday, when we had a diner guest, but I was pretty restrained, considering we had Italian cuisine (I even made dairy & wheat free Eggplant Parmesan). Something bad happened on Saturday, I was exhausted after teaching all day and then riding 18+ miles so when I got home I had about 1000 calories in cheese and crackers (my weakness).  This was unfortunate because the lab I taught on Saturday was all about enzymes and we used lactase and lactose intolerance to help us learn the concepts.  I was able to get back on track today and hope to continue to make improvements on my commitment to keep away from the yummy things that hurt me when I eat them.

No comments:

Post a Comment