Monday, February 14, 2011

Biking, or rather, Cycling Class

With Scholarship Weekend this past weekend and 2 major exams this week (Tax and Business Law), waking up before the sun was my only option to get a bike ride in....rather, to attend a cycling class. The YMCA offers a 6:30am cycling class. So I decided to give it a try.
After all, every day, on my way into work (at 4pm), I see all these "soccer moms" unloading a mini-van full of little munchkins and bags of soccer and swim equipment...AND THEN heading off to cycling class. They perch on their bikes and pedal away. How hard can it be, right?
I ALWAYS THOUGHT that cycling was for "soccer moms", until I attended a cycling class. Well, I discovered it's not made for the light-hearted, or the feeble-footed. This cycling class was a no-joke, kick-butt workout. I've swam and ran for exercise lots. I've considered a triathlon, thinking the bike portion can't be that difficult. Well, it may not be that difficult, but it's also not that easy.
Yes, yes, I've biked before. For the months I lived in Yosemite, biking was actually my main mode of transportation; but cycling class kicked my butt. End of story. KICKED MY BUTT.
My legs burned. My heart felt as if it would pound out of my chest.
At 7:45, we climbed off our bikes, laid on our yoga mats, and persisted to do 15 minutes of "Ab Attack". At 8:00AM, sharply, I died.
Now, I consider myself rather athletic; but I must admit, I now look at "soccer moms" in a whole new perspective. Cycling class...here I come. I shall not let those "soccer kick-butt moms" conquer you while I fall by the wayside.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I've been a cycling class. It is definitely different from just cruising on your bike down the road. Boy, those cycling class fiends take their class seriously. I went once and only once to an RPM class and thought I was going to pass out right there on the bike. Go, Desiree!

    ReplyDelete