Sunday, February 20, 2011

Top Bike Friendly City- Cary, NC


I chose to research Cary, NC because it is my hometown. According to bicycling.com Cary made the list because "Cary residents rode their bikes more and spent more money on cycling equipment last year than those in almost any other city on this list." While Cary is "not necessarily known for being a great cycling city" according to bicycling.com, I would have to disagree. The town of Cary has implemented a "Bicycle Plan" in which the overall goal is the make bicycling more efficient, safe, fun and practical in Cary. They have created a map of Cary bicycle routes that will help citizens choose routes according to their own bicycling needs, preferences, experiences, and abilities. They have also striped approximately 10 miles of roads to designate bike lanes, added 300 distinctive "Cary Bike Route" signs to identify selected routes, and created an education program to encourage bicycling in Cary. According to the Town of Cary the plan was created to "establish Cary as a Bicycle Friendly Community, with an interconnected transportation network that allows for the needs of the commuting cyclist as well as the needs of the casual or recreational cyclist." The town's future goals include creating a network of bicycle routes that will serve every planned and existing activity center in Cary, to improve the road network to better accommodate bicycles through wider outside lanes, bike-sensitive traffic signals and a bikeway maintenance program, and to promote bicycling as an efficient and healthy transportation alternative by providing facilities for bicycles, including places at important destinations to park them. I think Cary has done an excellent job of making the town more bicycle friendly. Nearly every time I drive in Cary I see at least 5 people of bikes and when the weather is nice I usually see at least 25 people on bikes. I can connect to many different greenways close to my house. I wish I could utilize them more, but attending Salem makes that difficult. I unfortunately did not get to ride my bike this week because I have been sick. I hope that I start feeling better soon because I would love to ride to Salem Lake!

1 comment: