Monday, April 11, 2011

What is the definiton of LOCAL??????


There was a lot of wonderful information shared during the locallygrown presentation. The one thing that stood out to me was the definition of local. There were many definitions of the word local, and those definitions were based upon one's perception. So after class I decided that I would obtain my food from the most local place available. My backyard. Since the weather has become warm, I would sit on the porch and think about how if my grandfather was still here he would be in the field plowing and preparing the soil for planting. When my grandfather died i just assumed that we would never be able to enjoy the fruits (or should I say vegetables) of his labor anymore, but after class I decided that I would plant my very own garden. So my girls and I had the garden plowed and we are beginning to prepare the soil for planting with the help of my uncle Robert (my grandfathers brother). I inform my girls on some of the infromation that I learned in class and from the readings. After hearing some of things about GMO's my girls replied "mama we have to start growing our food cuz we don't know what is in the food we are eating." and mommy they said laughing "grandpa would want us to plant a garden his house won't look right without a garden." And they are absolutely right, not about the house looking funny, but about keeping his legacy going and having an assurance that we know where our food comes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment