Monday, April 11, 2011

Community Supported Agriculture


Since I am the only student in the class to have ever been involved in a CSA, I decided I would further explore this topic. When I was living in Yosemite National Park, the employees had the option to partake in a CSA for food, as opposed to eating the "national park" food every day. It was an amazing (and very different experience). My tentmate and I paid $15 a week, and a local farmer brought us fresh fruits and veggies at the beginning of every week. Not only was it amazing to essentially live off of $15 a week, but exploring new foods was pretty amazing. We had HUGE avocados all the time. I wish I could get them that tasty on the east coast (:


I interviewed Meredith Perritt, a junior Communication major at Salem College.

Me: Have you ever been involved in a CSA before?
Meredith: No. However, I have used farmers markets and am very supportive of North Carolina farms.

Me: Would you be interested in participating in one if Salem College made it available?
Meredith: Totally! I think it would be a great opportunity to experience new foods! I'm always up for something new!

This arrangement creates several rewards for both the farmer and the consumer. In brief...

Advantages for farmers:

  • Get to spend time marketing the food early in the year, before their 16 hour days in the field begin
  • Receive payment early in the season, which helps with the farm's cash flow
  • Have an opportunity to get to know the people who eat the food they grow

Advantages for consumers:

  • Eat ultra-fresh food, with all the flavor and vitamin benefits
  • Get exposed to new vegetables and new ways of cooking
  • Usually get to visit the farm at least once a season
  • Find that kids typically favor food from "their" farm – even veggies they've never been known to eat
  • Develop a relationship with the farmer who grows their food and learn more about how food is grown

2 comments:

  1. What is going on with the text? If you can figure it out, please correct it so everyone can read your post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you mean? It doesn't show up odd on mine. Let me know what should be corrected and I'll attempt to re-post. I'm sorry! /:

    ReplyDelete