Thursday, April 7, 2011

"Locally Grown"





So this week we discussed locally grown food and what it means. There are many interpretations for the term "Locally grown". For me it means things that I personally have grown or things that are grown close to where I live. It is easier for me to get fresh produce when I'm home because I already know most of the farmers. I am a bit skeptical here however. Don't get me wrong I do trust the farmers here they are just not the ones I've been around my whole life. I am going to try to venture out to the local farmers markets here soon. I expect to see a variety of vegetables and fruits that are not always in season at this time in good old Cleveland, Ohio.

Some girls in my dorm have started growing pepper and tomato plants in our dorm. We have plants in every window. They were even kind enough to give every room in the building their own plant. I am so excited about this. I get to take care of my pepper plant and watch it grow and eventually I will have something to show for it. I thought this was a great idea and think it would be cool if other dorms would try it. Seeds are not to expensive and you can use plastic cup if you do not have pots, a place to plant or the right kind of climate to keep that plant alive. I have some pictures of the plants that are all around the dorm as well as some pictures of the garden next to the refectory. The plants may not look like too much now but soon we will have some pretty nice food that was extremely locally grown in my eyes.

I talked to one of my Salem Sisters about what she thought locally grown food was and what she thought about my dorm growing vegetables. She believes that locally grown means "food grown close to where you live, or at least in the U.S." She doesn't want to grow anything because she does not feel like she has the time to do it. She does like what my dorm is doing and thinks that it is a cool idea, if the people have time for it. As far as farmers markets are concerned she would prefer the grocery store, mainly for convenience. She also said she would know where her food is coming from, even if it is far away.

I found that most people do not like farmers markets, but I'm pretty sure this is because they have never been to one. Everyone I know that has been to a market loves it and would prefer that to the grocery store. I think people who have not been to the local farmers markets need to go at least one, if only for the experience, I think this would change their perspective.


No comments:

Post a Comment