Monday, April 11, 2011

Exploring My Local Farmers Markets

After our guest speaker on Monday I decided that while I was home for the weekend I would check out the farmers markets near me with my mom. I started out our adventure by asking my mom why we did not go to farmers markets and she said it was because they were more expensive and had inconvenient times. We soon found out that both of these ideas were false. We first went to the Apex farmers market which was about 3 miles from my house. It was fairly small and there was no produce yet (too early in the season) but there was crafts, barbecue, and baked goods. It was really nice to meet everyone and they were all very friendly, but because we went when it was cold outside we were the only ones there and felt very pressured to buy everything. The next place we went was a local farmer with a roadside stand. It was also not open yet. We then drove to the farmers market in Cary. It was also very small, but it had produce. When I talked to the farmer he informed me that all his food was grown in a greenhouse. This kind of turned my mom and I off, but we did notice that his prices were lower than the grocery store. We also saw that this particular farmers market is open on Saturdays and Tuesdays. As we were driving home we saw another roadside stand that was selling meat. We had to be somewhere else so we didn't have time to stop, but it was nice to learn that we had all of these local food options. I also took advantage of the great weather this weekend by taking an hour long bike ride on the greenways near my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment