Monday, April 4, 2011

Class Guest - Michelle Ferrier from LocallyGrownNews.com

We were fortunate enough to have Dr. Michelle Ferrier, a professor in the college of communications at Elon College, and proprietor of LocallyGrownNews.com come speak with the class today.  We spent the entire period really discussing what the term local food means.

I want everyone to go to LocallyGrownNews.com and create an account.  We will be selecting the best blog posts from this week to be shared on that site with that extended community.  I know a lot of you are interested in engaging in the types of conversations that are ongoing on that site.  It would be wonderful if we can go beyond what we have been doing on the blog, and become more informative to our outside audience.

Start thinking about what piece of the local food conversation (on the board below) you want to discuss in your own blog posts.  This week, I am going to blog about how purchasing local foods (I stopped by The Reynolda Farmers Market on the way home from class today) is introducing me to new foods, maybe ones I have eaten in restaurants, but have never cooked at home.  I already had a nice discussion with the owner on what I'm supposed to do with all the food I purchased (how to cook it), and I will return tomorrow on my way to the cobblestone farmers market (near Krankies) to chat some more and to interview him for this week's activity.  He also told me he could get me some special long/sweet peppers that I haven't found in NC yet, I will definitely be back.

 
One last thing.  The very first event listed on LocallyGrownNews.com is the Environmental Movie Nights.  This Thursday they are showing a film "Grow Your Own Vegetables".  I will try to make it, but check it out if you can.... see full details of the event and save the date at this link 

No comments:

Post a Comment