Monday, April 11, 2011

Introducing Organic Gardening to Children

Tya planting.jpgThis picture shows my 13 yr old, then 12, planting tomato plants in our first garden. This experience meant show much to me and my family in so many ways. I shared this plot of land with another family who chose to involve their child as well. By introducing this skill to children at this age, they are more prone to continue this practice later in life. I found it very important to not only show her how to grow her own food, but I found it even more important to show her how to do it in a way that is safe for her and her environment. When I asked her how she felt about using grain fed chicken droppings as fertilizer instead of chemical fertilizer she said " At least I know what chicken poop is, I don't know whats in the chemical fertilizer". Cucumbers from the garden.jpgI think the best part of the experience for my child was to actually see, prepare, and eat the fruits and veggies of her labor. One thing that stood out to her the most was how much better the vegies tasted from our garden as opposed to produce we purchase in a grocery store. I strongly encourage those that enjoy gardening to introduce it to a child. If you don't have kids, try another relative or a neighbor. One way we can ensure that the next generation may choose a more environmentally sustainable way of living is by exposing them to these practices early.

No comments:

Post a Comment