Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Promoting Travel to Local Farms

One thing I really miss about not living at home is getting to read the newspaper (in my case, Raleigh’s News & Observer) every day. Now I try my best to read the Sunday paper whenever I am at home, like I did this weekend. I was really thrilled to see this article on the back page of the Life section about travelling to different farms in North Carolina. The article is about a book written by Diane Daniel entitled “Farm Fresh North Carolina”. The book chronicles Daniel’s travels around the state going to different farms, farmers markets, roadside stands and other farm-related places. The goal of her book is to encourage readers to make day trips to some of the destinations included and to increase awareness of all the wonderful farms North Carolina has to offer its citizens. Daniel’s book is divided by region and she offers several different itineraries for each area. The article in the paper included ideas for people in Guilford county that mostly centered around Greensboro. They included visiting the Greensboro Farmers’ Curb Market (the oldest of its kind in the state, established in 1874), the Edible Schoolyard at the Greensboro Children’s Museum (a great way to educate young children about agriculture), and a number of different restaurants (such as Lucky 32). The article, and Daniel’s book, helps to let people know that there are places out there where they can spend some time learning more about their food and having firsthand experiences with how that food is produced.

This week I went to my yoga class and walked for about an hour. I am writing this before our class outing on Wednesday, but I am planning on biking when we go out on the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment