Monday, April 18, 2011

Environmental Issues From 9/11

I found an interesting article last week that talked about how the dust and debris from 9/11 was so hazardous. I have never even thought about that aspect of 9/11, but the New York Times described it as the greatest acute environmental disaster in New York City. Fires burning at 1,000 degrees created a toxic plume that clouded lower Manhattan and spread to adjoining areas. The collapsing towers pulverized cement and everything the buildings contained, including some asbestos, while the tremendous pressure of the collapsing floors fused materials together in potentially dangerous combinations that scientists had not seen before. It is estimated that between 40,000 and 90,000 workers and volunteers spent time on the debris pile and may have been affected in some way by the dust. A new bill calls for providing $1.8 billion over the next five years to monitor and treat injuries stemming from exposure to toxic dust and debris at ground zero.

This week I was so busy that I did not get the chance to truly work out but, I did do a little walking while I was getting petition signatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment