Saturday, April 30, 2011

Ratatouille...French for Delicious Veggies

Okay, so ratatouille is not really French for delicious veggies, but when prepared this way I suggest this be the translation. It's so good, and so easy, and so easily manipulated that anyone can find a way to adjust this recipe to her taste. Here's what I started with, but have found more garlic, more black pepper and less salt to be to my liking. If you prepare it this way, know that you are treating yourself to two full servings of vegetables with only one 1 cup serving of ratatouille...that's if you can stop eating at 1 cup :).

1 medium eggplant (I prefer it peeled, but that's up to you), cut into 1 inch cubes
2 small zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 medium green bell pepper (again, I peel it. I know that sounds weird but it changes the texture completely), chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped (here's where a food processor is handy)
2 medium tomatoes, cut into fourths
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (sounds like a lot, right?)
1/4 teaspoon pepper (sounds like not enough, right?)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (definitely not enough, I use at least 3)

Cook all ingredients in 12-inch skillet over medium heat 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until zucchini is tender.

Bon Apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment