Sunday, April 17, 2011

Media Article: Chernobyl 25 Years Later

This article is the product of a journalist who lived in the Ukraine for two years, photographing and interviewing those who have chosen to remain in or return to the affected area. After reading Lane's article, I felt compelled to seek out any information about others covering this disaster. As stated in the article, Japan will be forced to set up a 25 mile exclusion zone.

I am interested in this event because I once met a young woman who emigrated to the US with her grandmother after the explosion. I heard her talk of the aftermath, and how the government attempted to treat survivors. She said she was given a glass of something to drink, and her grandmother slapped it out of her hand, saying, "Don't drink that!" After this her grandmother was able to bring her here. I believe she was about ten years old when this happened. Hearing her speak of it has stayed with me; I can't even imagine what that must have been like.


http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ik-YGS3iJwX6tE8j0bR5GK77ORNQ?docId=ce32d4fdf3e242c3ad22489996802596

No comments:

Post a Comment