Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Way We Were



Becoming aware of locally grown foods, through Dr. Allen's class at Salem, made me decide to conduct my project toward the generation before me. Their ages are 70 or older. Communities are becoming more aware of the fresh food markets but when did they start to decline? I interviewed 2 different families asking specific questions pertaining to "local food". My first subject is my mom. Her name is Rebecca Flynt. We will call her Becky. She was brought up on a farm in Georgia. My second subjects are Tom & Lee Essic. They are my neighbors and both Tom and Lee were raised in the city in North Carolina. Both of Lee's grandparents lived on farms. My first statement asked was to define "local food". Tom and Lee replied, "It's food that is grown in town in a general area." Whereas, Becky replied, "It is locally grown in the community or city. I would say within a 20 mile radius." My next question was, Why do you think people today go to the supermarkets or grocery store vs. a farmers market? Becky replied, "it is easier to get everything in one place, in one trip." Tom & Lee said, " Time is a factor. People are busy and it is convenient. There is more emphasis put on the Farmer's Market in local areas. Access has been improving."

I continued my interview by asking questions about organic foods, seasonal foods and fresh grown foods. All 3 were in agreement that organic foods are more expensive with added concerns of "proof of actually being organic, soil content and where organic seeds come from." Becky said, "I don't think most people know the difference. I think fresh grown is better because the nutrients are better. You don't know how long packaged food has been on the shelf or the conditions they were packaged." Tom and Lee stated,"Out of seasonal produce is not as good and usually hard. We just make do during the winter." The next part of the interview pertained to actual access to food while they were growing up. Tom said, "Most of our vegetables were delivered. So was our butter and sausage. Local farmers grew it. We would go to the "City Market on Saturdays to buy our meats, produce and sausage too. They had meats and fish inside and farmers would set up stands around the outside." Lee's family reaped the benefits from her grandfathers' farms. " My grandpa raised chickens, pigs and hogs. They grew vegetables. It was a country place and they had cows. The farms were self-sustaining. In the spring we would get mountain apples and at Christmas we would get oranges because that is what was shipped in. I can remember at Christmas getting an apple, orange, banana and nuts in my stocking." Becky said, " We raised peanuts and beans and grew everything. We had peaches, plums and blackberries. All of our vegetables were picked and canned. We put our meat in the smokehouse in the winter. On the coldest day, animals were slaughtered, cut and rubbed in salt about 1/4 inch thick then wrapped in cheese cloth, placed in a burlap bag until they cured. We didn't use sugar, it was too expensive. I was unaware of any of us going to a grocery store until I was 10. I don't remember going to a grocery store before the 4th or 5th grade." Lee's grandparents used the smoke house, curing method as well but did use sugar curing also.

I then proceeded to ask their opinions about genetically modified seeds. Tom and Lee stated, "You can't control nature. We depend on birds, bees and the wind. Certain trees you have to plant the opposite sex for them to cross pollinate." Becky's comment was, "I think it is a bunch of malarky." All 3 were in agreement with seed banks. Becky replied, " If the seeds are generational, each plant should get better. Keep the good ones and discard the bad ones to keep the line pure." Tom and Lee said, "You should be able to protect thier variety and also patent them like larger companies."

In both households, Becky had 6 unprocessed items and Tom and Lee had 5 unprocessed items. The rest of thier food from vegetables, breads, meats, dairy and fruit were processed. None of the unprocessed food was bought from a local or fresh market.

No comments:

Post a Comment