Monday, May 16, 2011

Mulberries on the Greenway

I don't usually share mulberry tree locations with just anyone, since I want them all for myself.  I usually get funny looks as I'm climbing around the trees shoving fruit into my mouth. 

Not many people know that there is a lot of edible food right along sidewalks and city streets.  My two favorites that I have found in Winston Salem are these trees that you can make tea out of their flowers (after you dry them), and mulberries.  Yesterday while on the Salem Creek Greenway I found the mother-load of all mulberries.  No fewer than 20 trees, both black and white (I prefer black).  There is a broken limb over the green bridge on the way to the greenway and it is filled with ripe fruit.  So you are asking what the heck is a mulberry, well it looks kind of like a blackberry but is smaller and grows in a tree.  They are not usually as sweet, but they are really good.  I've made mulberry jam and pie before, when I was lucky enough to have a tree in my backyard.  Here is an upclose look at them if you are feeling adventurous.

Remember this week is National Bike to Work week! Bike On!

No comments:

Post a Comment