Monday, May 2, 2011

A Better Way to Eat Sweet Potatoes

For most of my life the only time I ate sweet potatoes was at Thanksgiving when they were covered in butter and brown sugar, which is not really the way most vegetables (or foods in general) should be eaten! But then I came to Winston-Salem and started to notice sweet potatoes in the Refectory and on menus in almost every restaurant I visited. One day I tried sweet potato fries and I don’t think I have missed the butter and brown sugar version a bit. I prefer my sweet potato fries baked even though they don’t get as crispy. I think they are so good, especially because they are super easy to make. As an added bonus, sweet potatoes are almost always available locally and cheaply in the supermarket and they are great at any time of the year. I don’t follow a specific recipe to make sweet potato fries, I just cut fresh sweet potatoes into strips, season them with salt and a drizzle of olive oil and put them in the oven for about thirty minutes at 425 degrees. They come out perfectly and taste great!

This week I went for part of a bike ride with the class and also went for a walk with my younger sister over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment